Friday, October 4, 2019

Drowning and Letting Go

I swim in open water. Deep. Dark. I pray.

Desperately I scan the horizon for a sign, a marker, something to indicate this won't last forever. Endless ocean fills my visage. I pray.

My arms are filled with precious things. Good things. Beautiful things. I pray.

I kick my legs furiously, but my arms are full and the water is tempestuous and . . . I choke and bob and gasp for air. I pray.

I fight the panic that threatens to ensue. I pray.

I hear a voice . . . let it go

I contemplate releasing the precious, good and beautiful things that impair my ability to navigate the deep and choppy waters. But the people around me tell me to hold on and kick more efficiently. They can't see that my lungs are full of water, so I hold on and kick my legs harder. 

I am asked what's wrong with me, why I can't keep up...but I am unable to even take a breath without filling my lungs with water...and I can't form a thought or speak a word asking for help. 

I fear. Will my relationships survive me letting go? 

So I kick harder. I hold on to the precious, good and beautiful things tighter. I pray. 

I hear a voice . . . let. it. go.

There is no amount of work that I put in, no amount of attitude changes or silent prayers said, that decreases the amount of water entering my lungs. I hear voices asking what I need and how they can help me...but I can't take a breath . . . and I certainly can't speak. I'm too busy trying to survive to be able to form a coherent thought. I pray.

I hear a voice . . . LET. IT. GO. 

My head spends more and more time under the water, until it is consumed by it. 

As I sink lower and lower and lower into the depths, I am about to die. I pray. And I hear a voice . . . 

LET IT GO!

So I release one of the good, precious and beautiful things . . . but I continue to sink. So . . . I release it all. As I watch them float away, I wave my arms, kick my legs and am drawn closer and closer to the surface.

I can't breath yet. But there is hope. 

I let it go. 


3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! I could see your struggle and it hurt my heart to see you in so much pain and agony! I don't know if it's a fortunate thing or an unfortunate thing, only know it's a gift of mine, I feel other people's pain and agony and know to pray! And I have been praying for you since we first spoke about me possibly being the Children's Ministry Leader. God used you m😘ghtly and will continue to use you, in whatever He leads you to do now! I understood your feeling of sinking. Once I was at my Church Serving in some compacity, every night of the week and all day on Sundays! I was sinking fast! I finally let it all go!!! And have been very selective with my time and strength since! It will get better and you will be better at saying no, as you grow!!! We weren't meant to fill every need of the Church or Ministries of the Church! "No, said to self and others, gives one more power, joy and strength than we could ever imagine, not to forever, PEACE of MIND!!! 🙏💖👸✝

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant not to forget, PEACE of MIND! 😜

    ReplyDelete